Stephen R. Drew is a founding partner of Drew, Cooper and Anding. He earned his undergraduate and law degree from the University of Michigan.
For over 43 years Mr. Drew has practiced in the areas of Civil Rights, Personal Injury, Sexual Harassment, Sexual Abuse, Police Misconduct, and Employment law, and has litigated complex cases in state and federal courts in Michigan and throughout the United States. Known for achieving exceptional results for clients on unpopular and challenging cases against large corporate defendants, he has gained the recognition and reputation as a fierce litigator.
Mr. Drew is a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers and the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers of the American Bar Association, where membership is selected based upon recognition of skill and professionalism. He has been named Super Lawyer in Michigan in the field of Personal Injury since 2007. He has also been awarded the Champion of Justice Award by the Michigan Bar Association and has been listed in the Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers since 1997. Because of his skill and integrity, he is often sought by other lawyers to serve as a facilitator in lawsuits.
Mr. Drew was selected by his peers as the 2017 Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” for Employment Law, Grand Rapids—a designation he has received each year since 2011.
Selected reported cases include:
- Denhollander v. Michigan State University, Lawrence Nassar, USAG, et al., U.S.D.C. Case No. 1:17-cv-00029 (2017) – represents 122 out of a total of 332 plaintiffs who are victims of alleged sexual abuse by a former U.S. Olympic and Michigan State physician. This case recently settled against Michigan State University only for $500,000,000.00, to be allocated to the entire group of plaintiffs. This case is still pending against the remaining defendants.
- Estate of Dahnontae R. McKinley v. County of Muskegon, et al., U.S.D.C. Case No. 1:14-cv-00840 (2016) – a wrongful death action against a municipality and individual deputies. The case was settled prior to trial for the family of the plaintiff for $1,550,000.00.
- Kurt Mullins by Robert Thorndill, Conservator v. Pearson Construction Company, et al., Berrien County Circuit Court Case No. 13-0010-NI (2014) – a construction injury to a former Marine involving a fall from a work area. The case was settled prior to trial for the plaintiff for $4,050,000.00.
- Theresa Waldo v. Consumers Energy, 1:06 –cv-00768 (2010) - a sexual harassment/hostile work environment case in the United States District Court Western District of Michigan. This jury trial returned a verdict of $7.9 Million for the plaintiff.
- Estate of William Griffin v. City of Muskegon, et. al, 1:09-cv-884 (2010) - a wrongful death action against a municipality and individual police officers. This case was settled prior to trial for the plaintiff in the amount of $775,000.00.
Among his many memberships and associations, Mr. Drew has served as the president of the Grand Rapids Bar Association, Floyd Skinner Bar Association, and executive board member of the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association.